HCA 401 Week 5
The Strategic Implementation Plan for the Electronic Medical Record
The Strategic Implementation Plan for the Electronic Medical Record Final Paper should demonstrate understanding of the reading assignments, class discussions, additional research and the application of new knowledge. The paper must be 8-10 pages (excluding title and reference pages) and should reference 5-7 resources, in addition to the class text.
For the final paper, present a strategic implementation plan of an electronic health record for the healthcare facility or department of your choice. Use a Healthcare Information System (HIS) which is standard within the healthcare industry. Address one of the eight core functions of the Electronic Medical Record listed below:
1. Management of patient information and data
2. Efficient presentation of patient data
3. CPOE (described in Chapter 10)
4. Decision Support System (described in Chapter 11)
5. Enhanced inter-provider communication
6. Educational tools for patients and providers
7. Administrative support
8. Enhanced reporting systems
The research paper must address at least one of the eight categories of an Electronic Medical Record and discuss how Security and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance, as exists today and in the future, will be integrated. Prepare the paper by conducting scholarly and professional research addressing one of the eight functions of the electronic medical record. Questions and/or topics to take into account in the development of the paper include the following:
1. What is the institutions motivation for the implementation?
2. Is there a project authority/sponsor identified who can sustain an Electronic Medical Record
3. Is the Institution appropriately funded?
4. What is the proposed CPOE impact on workflow in the affected areas?
5. Cost-benefit ratio for the entity.
6. What is the project roll out plan?
7. System, Super User Training Plan
8. Is the system and entity readily upgradable and can it support continuous change management and improvement for your function selection of the EMR.
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
1. Must be 8 to 10 double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper
b. Student’s name
c. Course name and number
d. Instructor’s name
e. Date submitted
3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
6. Must use at least 5 scholarly resources, including a minimum of 2 from the Ashford Online Library.
7. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
8. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.