HCA 415 Week 3 Assignment Significant Contributions to Public Health – Part I (John Snow)
Significant Contributions to Public Health – Part I
For your final project, you will be researching an individual and their contribution to community and public health. Because of the size of this project, you will be doing the first part of this project in Week 3 then adding the final portion in Week 5. You have the option of writing a paper or putting together a presentation. Details are below the outline. Overall, you will be researching an historical figure in the public health world, their contribution to public health, and how their work helped shape the public health system. Furthermore, you will be analyzing how their contribution from the past continues to contribute to today’s public health system and how it might guide future work within the industry.
Follow this outline to help formulate your paper or presentation:
ACTION: Select one of the historical figures and their associated public health topic
· Margaret Higgins Sanger/Reproductive health
· Rachel Carson/Environmental health
· Franklin D. Roosevelt/Health care administration
· John Snow/Communicable and infectious disease
· Luther T. Terry/Smoking
· W. E. B. DuBois/Social determinants of health
· Larry Kramer/Health activism
· An individual of your own choice:
· YOU MUST OBTAIN INSTRUCTOR APPROVAL IN ADVANCE
ACTION: Research the individual’s background
· GRADED ELEMENT:Describe your selected person’s biographical background (i.e. experience).
· HELP:This can include resume elements such as birthdate, location, education, and brief statement of their contribution to public health. (Reminder: biographical information can be easily plagiarized. Please do not copy from your biographical websites. Paraphrase and/or quote and cite everything according to APA.)
ACTION: Research the barriers and issue of the time
· GRADED ELEMENT:Analyze the climate of the time period in terms of political, socioeconomic, environmental and technological context in which this person worked
· HELP:Think about whether this person was up against resistance or was their work welcomed.[For example, if you were writing on Abraham Lincoln and the abolition of slavery, you would note that slavery was prevalent and accepted at the time and the change was welcomed by some and rejected by others]
· GRADED ELEMENT:Examine the personal beliefs of your person that prompted this work.
· HELP:You are basically addressing the question: “Why did this person get involved with the issue at the time?” [In continuing the Lincoln example above, you would note that black people were considered property, not people; yet Lincoln believed everyone had equal rights regardless of skin color].
ACTION: Think about how this person overcame the barriers and issues
· GRADED ELEMENT:Examine how this individual overcame and/or confronted any adversities to succeed in his/her task
· HELP:Questions to consider: What did the person specifically do? Did they have any allies? How did their actions succeed/fail?
ACTION: Think about the importance of the contribution to community/public health at the time
· GRADED ELEMENT:Describe the final outcome of this individual’s contribution to community and/or public health
· HELP:Think about this question: What occurred as a result of this person’s action?
· GRADED ELEMENT:Explain what his/her contribution did for overall community and/or public health at the time
· HELP:Think about this question: What was the purpose for the community and/or nation?[In the Lincoln example, the explanation would involve a national recognition of human rights of all people, regardless of skin color]
· GRADED ELEMENT: Explain why this contribution was so important at that particular point in history
· HELP:Think about this question: What made this important for our nation?[In the Lincoln example, you would answer the question: Why was it so important that Lincoln freed the slaves?]
You have a choice of which format you wish to present your findings:
Format 1: Written Paper
· Must be at least 4 pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper
· Students name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
· Must use at least four scholarly sources (one of those may be the course text).
· Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Cente
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires alot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you sahould get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- The is a great resource