Assignment: Obesity and Dieting Questions
Part1: It is perhaps ironic that obesity and dieting are both very significant problems for our culture. Dieting becomes a more serious subject when individuals choose risky, unhealthy diets that may cause serious complications. Nutritionists say that diets need to have a minimum number of calories—the number that would represent a person’s basal metabolic rate. When calories are reduced below that rate, the person risks burning muscle tissue, not just fat. In this circumstance, the person risks heart damage or damage to other organs.
The process that takes a person from normal dieting to dieting for extreme thinness is not well understood. Belsky reports that there is likely a genetic component, and families of afflicted individuals tend to have problems not just with weight but also with mood problems and anxiety. People with anorexia tend to see themselves as less able to manage their lives and choose their eating habits as the one thing they can control.
For this discussion topic, it is helpful to learn about eating disorders from the perspective of a person who has struggled with one of these illnesses. Watch at least one of the TED Talks featured below presented by females who have been diagnosed and recovered. I included them both because they both share helpful and slightly different perspectives, but you can choose which one to watch.
Also, watch this brief news story including an interview with Nate Eaton called “” It is estimated that in the United States, 20 million women and 10 million men will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lives.
The website, as well as information from Chapter 8 in your textbook will provide information to inform your responses on the discussion questions.
As for every discussion, back up your responses with research and information from your text and the supplemental materials!!
- Imagine you have noticed that a good friend is showing signs of a possible eating disorder. Describe some of the indicators you
might witness. What types of treatment would be most effective in helping for him or her?
2. What psychological and personality factors contribute to a disordered way of eating? Include information about personality profiles or characteristics that are linked to eating disorders. Use specific examples from either Jazz’ or Catherine’s talks to illustrate your points.
3. How are contemporary female bodies typically represented in advertisements, television, movies, and print media? How do these representations influence the way girls feel about their bodies and the way they dress? Do you think social influences contribute to development of eating disorders? *******Part 2: 1) Please answer the following question: Thinking back over everything in the course, what theory presented do you feel is the absolute most important in being able to understand how Personality Psychology impacts humans? Why? (minimum of 4 sentences for your response)
2) What do you feel were the two most difficult specific theories or definitions that were covered in the course. Explain why for each (1 paragraph each).
3) Pick one of the specific theories from the question above, and attempt to explain that theory, in your own words, like you were teaching your 9 year old cousin (who has never taken a psychology course!).
4) Overall, of the multiple perspectives presented (e.g., trait, biological, humanistic, psychoanalytic etc), which one does the best job describing human personality? Why?
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- The is a great resource